Thursday, January 22, 2009

God is in Charge

Last weekend I was at a conference and the visiting pastor said something in his devotion that made me think. He mentioned that sometimes we find ourselves thinking God isn't paying attention to us. Sometimes, when we are in a desperate or seemingly hopeless situation, we tend to believe that God is not watching us; that He's unaware of our "terrible" situation. Have you found that to be true for you? I know that I have. I have been in a situation that is unbelievably difficult; one filled with pain, misery, fear, and hopelessness. And I have caught myself believing that God wasn't concerned with me and my "problems." Why did I think this? Because life wasn't going the way I wanted it to. Because the resolution wasn't happening in my time frame. Because God wasn't being obedient to me. It was as if I was the master and He was my servant. How foolish is that?! Did my realization of this foolishness change my situation? Nope! Would you want your life to be controlled by a fool? Apparently I did because I was trying to be in charge.
I'm reminded that God is God whether or not my life is the way I think it should be. I'm reminded that I'm not alone; Isaiah 41:10 tells us not to fear because God IS with us. We are not to be dismayed because He IS our God! He promises to strengthen us and help us and uphold us with His righteous right hand.
My problems may not be resolving like I'd like for them to or in the time I'd like, but I will put my trust and faith and hope in the Lord! Where does my help come from? It comes from God alone who promises to be with me, to go before me, to prepare me, to never leave me, to prosper me, and to give me a peace and a joy that surpasses all understanding. How am I able to have joy in the midst of terrible circumstances? How am I able to be "strong?" Because the joy of the Lord is my strength! He is the song of my heart and the Light of my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment